1945 and 1958 10,000 S trucks were built with underframes
supplied by Commonwealth Engineering and bodies supplied by Clyde wagon
works. These wagons have a steel underframe with a steel and wooden
composite body and a wooden floor.
wagons were a general purpose open wagon and were used to
transport a wide variety of goods ranging from general goods, coal,
early containers, machinery and much more and were used over every line
in NSW. The S truck was considered the "standard" freight wagon in
We believe this may actually be S813. Whilst it carries the
number L813, another preserved wagon at Goulburn Roundouse is also
coded L813. It appears that at some point the wagon was recoded L813
with the letter "S" being painted out and replaced with "L". The final
use of this wagon was as a material
storage wagon at Dubbo locomotive
In November 2008 the Railcorp Office of Rail
Heriatge offered the wagon to Goodwin Alco.
Restoration is now underway
and you can follow the progress here .